Our global presence gives our customers the flexibility and reliability of supply that is required in our industry. With manufacturing plants in the Netherlands (Delfzijl), China (Taixing) and a 50-50 joint venture in Japan as well as a dissolving facility in the US (LeMoyne), we can deliver our customers unrivalled support whilst maintaining consistency.
MCA is an essential ingredient in the chemical industry thanks to the very reactive chlorine element in the acid thus finding its application in various industries, from thickening agents (carboxy-methyl cellulose) to the agrochemicals industry (for eg. 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid)
The greater part of monochloroacetic acid production is intended for the manufacture of carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC), a water-soluble cellulose ether, with a wide range of applications as a thickening agent in aqueous systems. Our customers demand flexibility which we provide in many ways including our range of product forms available as monochloroacetic acid (MCA) or the sodium salt of monochloroacetic acid (SMCA) in a variety of packaging.
MCA or SMCA is also used to manufacture crop-protection chemicals such as the widely used phenoxyacetic acid herbicide: 2,4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid also known as 2,4-D and 2-methyl-4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid also known as MCPA amongst others. Having AkzoNobel as their supplier our customers benefit from high quality and reliable supply which allows for efficient operations.
MCA is used in the production of amphoteric surfactants such as betaines and imidazolines. Betaines are becoming increasingly important in the manufacture of mild shampoos, liquid soap and metal cleaning agents. Imidazolines are used as shampoos and industrial cleaners. MCA is also used for making ether carboxylic acids. Flexibility in terms of product forms and quality is essential to the surfactants business, which we provide through our range of product forms.
Essential raw material also for
• cyanoacetic ester, a raw material for purines, cyanoacrylate adhesives and vitamin B6.
• malonic esters, synthesized from SMCA and used in the preparation of barbituric acid, the basis of a wide range of barbiturate drugs.
• phenoxyacetic acid, raw material for penicillin.
• chloroacetylchloride, e.g. used in the production of pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals.
• purines. The caffeine type purines are made from urea or its N-methyl derivatives and ethyl cyanoacetate.
• glycines, used in the production of: pet food, flavoring agents, and pharmaceuticals (i.e. soluble aspirin).
• dyestuffs such as indigo.
• dimethoate, an important insecticide that is mainly used in tropical and subtropical climates.
• ibuprofen, produced via the IPA-ester of MCA.
• chloroacetamide, industrial preservative (biocide).
*Find table below under other information
The packaging we use is practical, safe, (recyclable) and meets international transport requirements.
Our product portfolio is available in the following packaging